Pages

Thursday 19 January 2012

Neverland (2011)

This is a mini-series that the SyFy network put out (the same people who made the Tin Man mini-series for those who’ve seen that. If not I recommend that you do).
Have you ever wondered who Peter Pan was before he became Peter Pan and why he can’t remember who he is? Why isn’t he like the other lost boys and more like a faerie? Who was Captain Hook before he was Captain Hook and why does hate Peter Pan so much? What is Neverland and how did they all end up there?
This series is sort of an origins series and answers all of those questions and more. The story opens in turn-of-the-century London, England. Peter and the lost boys are a gang of pickpockets, who all report to one Jimmy Hook. Certain events result in them all being mysteriously sent to a foreign land, a foreign planet. From there alliances are made, and broken. Many things are discovered, both by the characters about this new land and themselves, as well as by the audience, as they discover how and why things are as they are in Barrie’s end product.
I’ve always loved the story of Peter Pan and I have to say that I really enjoyed this mini-series. There were some slip-ups here and there (like Peter’s new sensory abilities being able to locate the smallest things, but then failing when there’s a huge spider behind him). I thought the explanations were well done and plausible and the series over all was very active and imaginative. I was captivated from the outset, the story really drew me in and kept me wanting to know more. Other than the sensory thing, the one thing I didn’t really like was how Tinker Bell and the other fairies were depicted. I thought that there were many more options that would have been more successful, with either character actors or computer graphics. I was really disappointed when I saw the fairies. On a lighter note, Smee is played by the same actor that played him in Hook.
Overall, I recommend it.
 Here’s the trailer 


You can check the SyFy page for more info http://www.syfy.com/neverland

No comments:

Post a Comment